So you have been invited in for an interview! Whether your interview is with the employer or the recruitment agency, you should treat them in exactly the same way and make sure you are prepared.
Here are some interview tips to make sure you give yourself the best chance at landing the job.
- Confirm the time, day and the address.
- Leave plenty of time to get there, leaving a buffer in case of traffic chaos or the like.
- Ensure you have a contact number with you on the day, in case you are running late or are unable to make it. Make sure you call and let someone know!
- Dress appropriately. Let’s face it, if you are going for a role on the workshop floor, it is unlikely that you will be expected to be wearing a suit. By the same token though, leave your overalls in your locker – clean and neat works best.
- Turn your phone off before you go in, and if you are wearing sunglasses, put them in your pocket not on the top of your head.
- It is NEVER appropriate to swear in an interview situation.
- Do your research. If you have the company name, have a look at their website and find out more about who they are and what they do. If you are meeting with the agency make sure you know which job you applied for and be prepared to highlight why your skills are appropriate for the role.
- Be concise with your answers, unless asked specifically, you probably don’t need to go into minute detail about every job you’ve had or why you left them.
- Listen to the interviewer, and if you’re not sure about something – just ask.
- Lastly, try to relax. It is quite common for people to talk more when they are nervous, so just try and enjoy the interview and be yourself.